「会津若松市デジタルアーカイブ」公開資料を翻刻

コレクション: 諸士系譜

諸士系譜 巻之50 に之部1 - 翻刻

諸士系譜 巻之50 に之部1 - ページ 78

ページ: 78

翻刻

   旨申出赤船御船頭弐艘ゟハ廿日ゟ風待被    仰付度若夫過ニ相成候而ハ風順之程難計候    間越年之御設被仰付度旨強而申出候ニ付    猶荒井平兵衛最上徳内江申聞是非当    月中も罷在度厚諭方為取計候処一円    得心不致日延之儀被仰聞候ハヽ一応承    知者可仕候へ共私共役分も在之儀故強而申上候    委細御覧之通先日之大荒後ハ日々ニ海    面事変候義此後者日増ニ風波荒相成候    間風順之義甚六ケ敷一期取失候へ者中々    無難ニ渡海いたし候儀不相成於職分甚    相安不申候且直ニ乗候ハヽ両三日遅成候而も宜候    へ共宗谷着岸ニ候ハヽ猶更日並詰不申候而ハ不    相成旨遮而申出候此上ハ不得止義ニ候処一日    宛も当所ニ長く罷在候儀御互大慶之筋ニ    付廿二日ハ弐百廿日ニ当候間漸之事ニ而三日    差延廿三日ゟ之風待ニ致治定候兼而之覚    悟と違残念ニ候へ共拙者儀も当年始而之    義専任之者共挙而呉々申聞候儀拙者    所存穴勝ニ相立万一風順取失渡海相成兼候

現代語訳

旨を申し出て、赤船の御船頭二艘からは、二十日より風待ちを仰せつけていただきたい、もしそれを過ぎるようになっては、風の具合がどうなるか見通しがたいので、越年の御設けを仰せつけていただきたい旨を強く申し出たので、さらに荒井平兵衛・最上徳内に申し聞かせ、是非とも当月中は留まりたいとして、懇切に説得するよう取り計らったところ、まったく得心せず、「日延べのことを仰せ聞かされるならば、一応は承知いたしますが、私どもは職分もある身でありますので、強えて申し上げるのです。詳しくはご覧の通り、先日の大荒れの後は、日々海面の状況が変わっており、この後は日増しに風波が荒くなりますので、風の具合を計ることは甚だ難しく、一度好機を失えば、容易に無事に渡海することはできなくなります。職分上、甚だ安んじることができません。また、直接乗り込んで(直行して)航行するならば、二・三日遅れても構いませんが、宗谷への着岸とあれば、なお更日並み(日取り)を詰めなければなりません」と、強いて申し出たのでした。この上はやむを得ないことではありましたが、一日でも当所に長く滞在することはお互いにとって大変喜ばしいことでありますので、二十二日は二百二十日に当たりますので、ようやくのことで三日差し延ばし、二十三日より風待ちと治定いたしました。かねてよりの覚悟と異なり残念ではありますが、拙者にとっても今年初めてのことであり、専任の者どもが挙って繰り返し申し聞かせていることは、拙者の所存もあながち外れてはおらず、万一風の好機を失い渡海がかなわなくなった場合には、

英語訳

...they petitioned accordingly, and the captains of the two red vessels further stated that they wished to be granted permission to wait for favorable winds from the 20th, and that if that date were to pass, it would be difficult to predict the wind conditions, and therefore requested to be given provisions for wintering over. Because of this forceful petition, Arai Heibei and Mogami Tokunai were further instructed, and arrangements were made to persuade them earnestly that they should remain through the current month at all costs. However, they were entirely unconvinced and replied: "If we are told that the departure will be postponed, we will accept that for the time being, but since we also have our professional duties, we must insist on this matter. As you can see in detail, since the great storm the other day, the sea conditions change day by day, and hereafter the wind and waves will become rougher with each passing day. Predicting favorable winds will be extremely difficult, and if we miss the right opportunity even once, it will become exceedingly difficult to make a safe crossing. In terms of our professional responsibilities, we cannot accept this with peace of mind. Furthermore, if we sail directly, a delay of two or three days would be acceptable, but if we are to put in at Sōya, we must be even more precise about the timing." They pressed their case insistently. While it was an unavoidable situation, since it was greatly to the benefit of all parties to remain here even one day longer, and since the 22nd would mark the 220th day of the year, after much deliberation, we decided to extend the stay by three days and settled on waiting for favorable winds from the 23rd. This differed from what we had originally resolved, and it was regrettable, but it was also the first time for me in this particular year, and since the men with specialized responsibilities were unanimously and repeatedly urging this course, it was not entirely contrary to my own judgment, and in the event that we might miss a favorable wind and be unable to make the crossing...