英語訳
## [Right Page]
(Continued from the previous page) …[a memorial tablet of Hōjō Ujiteru] exists here. It is ancient in appearance and the characters are difficult to read.
### Gravestone Monument of the Fallen Warriors of the Akuma Saitō Clan
In Noguchi Village (野口村), within the area known as Nishi-juku (西宿), stands a Zen temple called Tokuzōji (徳蔵寺), in the rear garden of which
*Marginal note: It belongs to the Rinzai sect, affiliated with Shutokuji (種徳寺) in Akasaka, Edo. By tradition it was founded in the third year of Eiroku (永禄, 1560), but since the old records have been lost, the details cannot be confirmed.*
this monument has been erected in a bamboo grove.
*Marginal note: Until six or seven years ago, the monument stood approximately three chō away from this temple, on the hillside of the mountains that extend from Sayama. Beside it there was also a small hermitage called Eishun-an (永春庵), which a monk called Hōjū Oshō (方充和尚) restored. Now it has been moved into the temple grounds of Tokuzōji, and only the name of the hermitage remains.*
- Height: approximately 5 *shaku*
- Face of the stele: more than 3 *shaku* 5 *sun*
- Width: approximately 1 *shaku* 5 *sun*
**[Inscription on the monument:]**
*Marginal note: Akuma Saitō Saburō, Fujiwara no Morisada, aged 26; invocation to [Ku-]□-da-butsu; fell in battle on the fifteenth day of the fifth month at Fuchū in Musashi Province.*
Kōmyō Shingon — Fifteenth day of the fifth month, third year of Genkō (元弘, 1333), cyclical year Mizunoto-Tori (癸酉) — Respectfully submitted.
*Marginal note: Likewise, Grandson Shichi Ieyuki (孫七家行), aged 23, died in the same battle. Akuma Sonzaburō (飽間孫三郎), aged 35, fell in battle on the eighteenth day at Muraoka in Sagami Province. Written by Hen Amida Butsu (扁阿弥陀仏).*
Although the gravestone monument of the Akuma clan is in truth covered with five hundred years of moss and lichen, the heroic names of these three warriors remain unburied even now, undying through a thousand ages. The calligraphy of the inscription-writer, Hen Amida Butsu, secretly contains the bone-method (骨法, structural technique) of Yuan-dynasty calligraphers, and no small number of people of refined taste and antiquarian inclination who come to this place offer it their praise and admiration.
## [Left Page]
*Note: Upon examination, the third year of Genkō (元弘) corresponds to the second year of Shōkyō (正慶), the cyclical year Mizunoto-Tori (癸酉), under Emperor Kōgon (光厳帝). In that year, Emperor Go-Daigo departed from Oki Province and returned to the capital; after his restoration to the throne, the Shōkyō reign-name was no longer used, and the year was reckoned as Genkō 3. In that same year, Nitta Yoshisada (新田義貞) sought to destroy the lay monk of Sagami (i.e., Hōjō Takatoki), and on the fifteenth day of the fifth month of the same year, he advanced on Bunbai-kawara (分倍河原) in Fuchū, Musashi Province, and engaged in battle with the lay monk's younger brother, the Fourth Son, Sakon-no-tayū lay monk Eshō (四郎左近太夫入道慧性). Yoshisada was defeated and ultimately withdrew in the direction of Horigane (堀兼), as recorded in the Taiheiki. Although the Taiheiki does not record the names of the individuals mentioned on this stone, the fact that they fell in battle on this very day is made clear by this monument.*
### Shōgun-zuka (将軍塚, General's Mound)
Four or five *chō* to the north of Tokuzōji, at the end of the eastern ridge that extends from the Sayama hills, stands this mound. On top of it, a venerable old pine grows intermingled with other trees in luxuriant abundance. *Marginal note: All of this area borders on Kume Village (粂村) and Kumegawa Village (粂川村). The land of Shōgun-zuka belongs to Noguchi Village.*
In the fifth month of the third year of Genkō (1333), the cyclical year Mizunoto-Tori, Nitta no Sakyūshō (Left Middle Captain) Yoshisada set out from Kasakakeno (笠掛野) in Kōzuke Province (Upper Musashi), encamped here, constructed mounds to the east and west at a distance of one hundred paces, raised his banners, deployed his forces, assembled troops from Echigo and Shinano, and finally subjugated those enemies of the court. This is the historic site [of that encampment]. The local people, in admiration of his martial deeds, call it Shōgun-zuka (the General's Mound). *Marginal note: On the western mound there had formerly been a small cluster-shrine (叢祠) of Sannō (山王) enshrining the spirit of Lord Yoshisada, but it is said to have since disappeared and no longer exists.*
### Sayama Pond (狭山の池)
The pond water that exists to the northwest, beyond the ridge behind the post-station of Hakone-ga-saki (箱根ヶ崎), is identified as the historic site of Sayama Pond (狭山が池). However, the body of water at Hakonezaki is called "Hako no Ike" (箱の池, "Box Pond"). What is called "Sayama no Ike" is at the foot of the Sayama hills, and does not refer to a single location; even among the places visible now, there are some three sites…